Monday, October 18, 2010

Welcome, Ashley Portrey!

The Ulman Cancer Fund for Young Adults has a long history with Volunteer Maryland whose mission is to build stronger and healthier communities by empowering Marylanders to take action. The UCF received it's first Volunteer Maryland Coordinator in 2002. Ashley will be working on the Peer Mentor Program, University Outreach and creating Ambassadors of the UCF in Baltimore. Now, we welcome Ashley Portrey to our team. Here is a little bit more about Ashley, in her own words...


"I am a graduate of Shepherd University with a BA in psychology. I am currently in a Masters program at Hood College. I am studying Thanatology, which is the study of death dying and bereavement counseling. Specifically, I want to use my degree as a way to help those going through times of bereavement. I want to help those who are faced with a harsh diagnosis to those individuals who are at the end of their fight. I want to be a support to the family members as well.  I came to UCF because the mission is something very close to my heart. I am very aware of what cancer can do to a person and to a family. People need support, they need education, and they need to be connected with others who are going through the same fight. My family has been riddled with cancer. My grandfather died of lung cancer, two of my aunts and one cousin died of breast cancer, one of my best friends died at 22 with stomach cancer, and my mom is a two time survivor of cervical cancer and melanoma.  I am a cancer survivor. I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer when I was 23 years old. I was given amazing support from my family but I would have loved to have known about UCF. I know that educating the community about cancer in young adults is important. I am very excited to begin my year with UCF."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join us on Facebook's Blog Network!

Supporters of UCF